PALACE SAINT MICHAEL AND GEORGE
The palace of Saints Michael and George is located in the north side of Spianada plateau and it’s one of the most impressive sites in Corfu. It was built during the period of 1819-1813 by the English Commissioner Thomas Maitlant. It is with no doubt the most important monument of the english period and one of the firsts of neoclassic style, built in Greece. It is the second in size palace-after the palace of Otto, the current Parliament of Greeks.
It is built with stones from Malta. Its entrance is decorated with a peristilium of Doric style, interrupted by two portals that of Saint Michael on the right and that of Saint George on the left. In the central part on the entablature of the building you can see anaglyph allegoric pictures of the seven Ionian islands. The interior of the building is decorated with sculptures and paintings. Most of the sculptures are made by the sculptor Proselenti.
The palace was used as a residence of the English Commissioner and as seat for the tagma of Saints Michael and George from whom it took its name. It was also the seat of the Ionian Senate. After the Ionian islands attached to Greece it was the rural house of the royal family.
From 1913 until 1993 the palace hosted the museum of Sino Japanese art. Today it hosts the museum of Asiatic art, the City Library, various cultural events and periodic exhibitions.
The Anagnostiki Company inCorfu is the most ancient spiritual institution of latest Greece. It was established in 1836 according to the Company of Geneva whose members were Kapodistrias, Kalvos and other personalities of Eptanisian islands. The founders of Anagnostiki Company were graduates of Italian universities and most of them were banished from Italy as carbonars. Members of this company were also Dionysios Solomos, Nikolaos Mannjaros, Lorenjos Mavilis, Ntinos Theotokis, etc.
Ionian Library is the main source of Anagnostiki Company. It is member of the European Confederacy of Societies and Institutions “Europa Nostra”. It organizes conferences, lectures, seminars and music events. It writes out annual bulletins with projects on various matters.
In 1978 it was awarded for her action by the Academy of Athens.
PUBLIC LIBRARY OF CORFU
The Public Library was established during the 18th century. It operates as a lending library but also has a reading room for the study of older publishes and files (magazines, newspapers) that can’t be borrowed. The Library has significant activity in the field of diffusing books, mostly among youth. It organizes books’ exhibitions and conferences. It has more than 75.000 books!
Plati Kantouni (Strada Larga under Venetian rule)
One of the most interesting mansions in the town of Corfu from the Venetian rule era (possibly of the 17th century). Originally it had two floors. Its most typical feature is the portico on the ground floor with its elegant row of arches decorated with the busts men and women, which refer to the decoration of the Loggia. There was a balcony on the second floor above the portico. It was from here that town officials watched the tournaments taking place on this street during carnival. The building has sustained newer additions of floors and is completely altered from the exterior.
Cobici Mansion (1680) at 43-49 N. Theotoki Street (Calle d’Erbe)
In the center of town across from the church of Agios Vasilios. It has the typical loggia on the ground floor, which is common to most buildings on this street and is the main feature of commercial areas around town. According to the inscription on the side it was built in 1680 by Daniel Cobici and was remodeled in 1728; it has been modified many times since then. The interior arrangement of Piano Nobile is very luxurious and the façade is elaborate with decorative horizontal bands at various levels, stressing the axis of symmetry. The loggia has been modified by newer reinforcement efforts.